If you’re ever in the mood for a good story, sit down with some of Alaska’s mining veterans, buy them a Moscow mule and get them talking about “the good ol’ days”… You’ll laugh. You’ll cringe. You’ll be inspired. You will wonder how they still have functional lungs and livers…
No doubt about it, mining is a messy business. Whether we’re moving sand and gravel or spending time deep in the mine shafts across our great state, Alaskan miners are threatened by a career of heavy metal exposure and toxicity from inhalation and/or ingestion of inevitable rock dust. Long-term heavy metal exposure can lead to acute or chronic toxicity, which may further lead to physical, muscular and neurological degenerative processes.
Think you may be at risk?
Here are some natural options for heavy metal detox*:
- Avoid alcohol. To all my geology buddies reading this out there, I recognize this is blasphemy… but hear me out! If you truly are concerned you’ve had some excessive exposure to just about anything toxic, you can guarantee your liver is working extra hard to remove toxins and doesn’t need the added burden of alcohol. (One exception to this is antifreeze poisoning, which requires ingesting alcohol for treatment.) I’m a rare breed of geologist who doesn’t drink alcohol, so I can tell you it IS possible to say no to that third pint of Alaskan Amber during happy hour… You can do it!
- Take probiotics. The best way to give your gut a boost for digestive balance and immune support is to supply it with some healthy bacteria. In my opinion, Americans especially need probiotics. Our bodies are working hard to process foods enriched with, or exposed to, antibiotics and additives that destroy our natural gut bacteria. I give my system a fighting chance with a daily dose of 15 billion live cultures, including 10 probiotic strains.
- Get your daily vitamins – C and E. Vitamins C and E help reduce or neutralize free radicals. Free radicals are atoms or groups of atoms with an unpaired electron that can cause serious damage when they interact with important cellular components like DNA or cell membranes. Vitamins C and E act as antioxidants, bonding to free radicals to prevent a chain reaction of ‘radical chaos’. Try to consume foods rich in these vitamins before opting for supplements.
- Eat loads of leafy greens. Stock up on kale and spinach salad fixings and get your green on! Try making some kale chips for that 2-am snack time… (is that just me?)
- Try some chlorella supplements. Chlorella is a blue-green algae, related to spirulina, that acts as a natural chelator to remove heavy metals from your system. Chelators, also known as sequestering agents, are compounds that bond to metal ions or other substrates. There are advanced chelation therapies available for people for have serious heavy metal toxicity.
- Take milk thistle supplements. Milk thistle is a powerful detoxifying herb, strengthening the liver cell walls to buffer them from toxins, as well as providing support for liver regeneration.
- Use cilantro (coriander) in conjunction with chlorella. There are many options for aromatic, topical and dietary uses for coriander essential oil to effectively get it in your system: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/coriander-vitality-5ml
- Add some lemon to your drinks. Lemon acts as a digestive aid, stimulating your digestive ‘juices’ and helping to break down food with its natural acidity. Successfully breaking down foods in your stomach first will help alleviate the burden on your liver later. I spike a lot of my drinks with a single drop of lemon essential oil (easily travels with you!): https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/lemon-vitality-5ml
Stay safe out there, my friends!
Thank you to my fellow geologist and mining buddy working out of Fairbanks for this blog post inspiration. Keep up the good work!
Heavy Metal Detox: https://draxe.com/heavy-metal-detox/
Supplements vs. Whole Foods: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/supplements/art-20044894
7 benefits of chlorella: https://draxe.com/7-proven-chlorella-benefits-side-effects/
Dosing with chlorella/cilantro (skip to page 3 about “understanding the elimination of neurotoxins using chlorella/cilantro”: https://www.nihadc.com/library/detox-for-life-class-2-addit-resources/54-4-dosing-with-chlorella/file.html?accept_license=1
Milk Thistle Detox for Heavy Metals, Chemotherapy, and Radiation: https://draxe.com/milk-thistle-detox-for-heavy-metals-chemotherapy-and-radiation/
Another article for using chlorella with cilantro for detox: https://www.google.com/amp/naturalsociety.com/proper-heavy-metal-chelation-cilantro-chlorella/amp/
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.*